Dayspring church gathers for worship, each week in our church building and online. We call that “Mixed Presence” worship. Those unable to gather in the sanctuary gather via ZOOM. Check the Home Page each week for access to Online Worship.
Cold and flu season is upon us once again. Coupled with a rise in cases of Covid 19 and its aftereffects the Session of Dayspring believes it is a good time to remind everyone about the importance of public safety. The Session recommends the wearing of masks for anyone with symptoms of an illness or a compromised immune system as well as reasons of personal choice. We recommend joining worship online for anyone feeling unwell. We would also recommend speaking with your doctor about your own personal health status and making an informed decision about vaccinations. As always, the first line of defence for a healthy winter season remains hand washing in combination with an awareness of what is going on around you. Stay well, stay kind and stay safe.
– (On behalf of the Session) The Rev. Brad Childs
24 November 2022
Click here for some information provided by the USA’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention about the effectiveness of wearing a mask and here for a report about preventive measures in Nature, a popular science magazine.
Vaccination is also strongly recommended. Click here for vaccine information provided by Health Canada.
Vaccination and masks help to protect you and others. They are an enactment of Matthew 22:37 – Jesus replied: “’Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind, and your neighbour as yourself.”
If you are planning to worship virtually but have never used ZOOM, you can join from your browser or download the ZOOM software. If you plan to download the software, log in a bit early (10-15 minutes) to give yourself time to do that. Also, ZOOM updates the software periodically and it is always wise to check for updates at least every couple of weeks.
Plan on accessing the ZOOM link at 9:45 am and stay after worship in a breakout room in order to visit with others.
Dayspring sometimes follows the Revised Common Lectionary (RCL)
This involves basing our Sunday Worship services services on the same Scripture texts as those followed by many other churches throughout the world. See here for information about RCL.
It also involves changing the colours in the sanctuary according to the season of the Christian year. You will find a chart of the liturgical colours here. Here is a general description of the various seasons of the church year – and here and here you will find descriptions of the rationale for use of the colours associated with the various seasons.
Our Congregation’s Resources for Worship
- A beautiful and very functional church building and excellent equipment for live streaming our worship via ZOOM.
- Children, youth, and adults who enjoy spending time with God and with each other
- A worshipful Sanctuary
- Great singing led by our talented Music Director and several Singers as individuals and in a group (see here)
- A Great Room adjacent to the Sanctuary for fellowship (with audio and video feed from the Sanctuary so it can function as a sanctuary overflow space)
- A Library adjacent to the Sanctuary with a window and speakers wired into the Sanctuary sound system, so that one can withdraw to a quiet space if desired, but still feel part of the service
- A well-equipped Nursery Room (unstaffed), with the sound feed from the service
- Nicely appointed classrooms for children, youth, and young adult learning, staffed with capable teachers
- A building that is almost all at ground level, with accessible washrooms
- Assisted sound available in the Sanctuary during worship
- And a great team of worship leaders, along with ZOOM hosts and Media Booth volunteers who facilitate access to worship online.